Wednesday, March 7, 2018

STUDIO NOTES--- SOLID MINIMALISM


You keep me inspired. I see what you do in class. Some of you sew so elegantly. I have noticed the beauty of straight seams in solid cloth. Someone, and you know who you are, pieced a string of 3/4 inch black squares. Why would anyone do that when a stip would have worked just as well? The seams offered subtle straight lines, just the texture and detail that was called for. 

Notice the lines and the way the light is active in the above blue block. Nice, isn't it? I'll observe that this strategy of piecing is a way to express minimalism. 

Consider the painting Forest Architecture by Paul Klee here . I thought of piecing. Lines created with seams. Seems like I have something to explore. Complex or simple images created with solid color.

I will get right to work and have another sample for class at Woodland Ridge. Three month countdown--- details here 



No comments:

Post a Comment